Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned fighter, Focus mitts or boxing mitts are among the most important training gear.
Boxing mitts or also known as focus mitts are best used when you are training with a partner or a trainer.
What makes them unique is that they allow a complete punching combination workout, unlike other boxing gear.
Compared to a punching bag, focus mitts do not take a lot of space. You will also find that they are among the most cost-effective training gear for punching and kicking combination training.
Today the market is full of focus mitts. If you are not sure of what you are looking for, chances are you will end up with a pair that may not suit your training.
We wanted to review with you the top 6 focus mitts that we have trained within our gym.
Key things to consider when buying focus mitts
What you need to know is that focus mitts are used for punch and kick combination training. They help you with speed, timing as well as endurance as you learn to strike the mitts in different combination sets.
The following are some of the things you should check when buying focus mitts.
a. You need to check the outer and inner material. The outer part should be made of tough and durable material such as leather.
b. The inner part should have a mesh lining. This material will help keep your hands dry and free from moisture.
2) Padding – The best focus mitts should have thick padding. This will allow them to provide maximum shock and impact absorption. Those with insufficient padding are likely to leave your fist sore or aching. The padding may become degraded after months and years of training.
3) Lightweight– Focus mitts should be very lightweight to allow quick-movement by the handler.
4) Wrist strap – A wrist strap ensures that they do not slip off when training. Focus mitts without a wrist strap can cause the mitts to fly off the trainer’s hands. I never used the strap when I trained and hard punchers would sometimes make the mitt fly off my hand.
5) Price – The price of focus mitts varies from one product to the other. This is because they are made of different materials and they also have different designs. I will say with all the focus mitts we use in training the higher-priced mitts were usually better. Not always but most of the time.
The Top 6 Focus Mitts for Money
1. RDX T3 Leather Boxing Pads
The first thing you will notice about these focus mitts is their beautiful design. Apart from the design, their construction features two layers of foam technology which have a soft gel lining.
Due to this design, they give the trainer maximum protection against punches or kicks when doing pad drills or during intense training.
The other thing that sets them apart from the rest is they can withstand even the toughest workouts. This is because they are made of authentic cowhide leather which features bulletproof stitching.
Apart from that, they have an ergonomic palm design which not only provides an excellent grip, but it also helps to distribute impact evenly.
They also feature supreme-shock foam plus an evaluation foam which provides the best padding and protection. Again, they are equipped with a shell shock gel equilibrium sheet which distributes shock and cushions to protect you from heavy blows.
- Excellent padding
- Provides maximum protection
- Ergonomic palm design – I really like the palm designs
- Secure quick hook and loop closure
2. RDX 03 Pro Advanced Air Focus Pads
If you are searching for one of the best focus mitts to enhance your training sessions, then the RDX 03 Pro Advanced Air Focus Pads will be an excellent choice.
These focus mitts contain a layer of premium authentic dull grain leather. They also have an outstanding air pocket center which has a rounded design.
This super cushioning provides excellent shock absorption and it also protects you from repeated impacts.
The inner part is reinforced further with a foam padding that provides shock consolidation.
To make them easier to use, they have an open hand half finger. This design makes it easier for you to just slip on and start the training immediately.
Lastly, they are hand-stitched and crafted to provide long-lasting performance.
- Open half finger design
- Prevents sweating
- Unique air pocket center for shock absorption
- High-quality zipper enhances air modulation
- A bit pricey
3. RDX T10 Curved Punch Mitts
If you are searching for long-lasting focus mitts for training, RDX T10 Curved Hook and Jab are the best.
They are made of highly durable Maya Hide leather with double stitching. You will find that they have a curved design that provides proper alignment to your hands and wrist.
This provides excellent shock absorption and impact distribution. The design makes them a perfect choice for trainers who deal with heavy punches.
Besides that, they have a shock-absorbent EVA-LUTION and Supremo Shock Foam padding which makes them efficient and comfortable to use.
Another impressive feature you will find in these focus mitts is the quick EZ-hook and loop wrist strap which provides a solid grip. They also ensure that they do not slip when struck.
To prevent the accumulation of sweat and moisture, they have slit and perforations on the surface.
- Shock absorbent EVA-LUTION and Supremo Shock Foam padding Affordable
- Slits and perforations keep things cool to help reduce sweaty hands
- Curved design ensures alignment with the hand and wrist for efficient impact absorption and distribution
- Nothing we found
4. Elite Sports Essential Curved MMA Punching Mitts
Elite Sports Essential Curved MMA Punching Mitts are made of long-lasting PU leather. They are ultra-lightweight and are made in the U.S.
The pads have an adjustable Velcro wrist strap which ensures that they are secure. If you are searching for quality focus mitts for fist and elbow strikes, these ones are the best.
You will also find that they have a supportive look and loop wrist which ensures that they don’t slip.
The pads also have thick foam padding for shock absorptions and resistance.
Another great feature is the 3D cooling and sweat-wicking interior which keeps your hands free from moisture.
- Thick padding for added resistance and unbeatable shock absorption
- Very cost-effective
- 3D Cooling, Sweat-Wicking Ultra-light
- Adjustable Velcro wrist closure
- Not as durable as some other brands
5. Revgear Economy Focus Mitts
Economy Focus Mitts are the best for those who are training on how to defend themselves. The good thing about them is that people with different hand sizes can use them.
You will also find that they have an adjustable wrist strap that holds them firmly. Again, they are good for 360 degrees blocking defense.
In terms of materials, you should note that they have a durable vinyl coating on the outer part and their interior contains a soft foam. If you are on a budget, they are among the most budget-friendly focus mitts you can buy.
They are also great for kids and cardio classes.
- Great for kids or cardio classes
- Affordable price
- Comfortable to use
- They do not have the best grip
- I would only buy these if you have a budget or light workouts
6. Pinnacle RG1 Gel Focus Mitts
Pinnacle RG1 is specially designed for safety and speed. They give you a wonderful performance as they protect your hands.
You will find that they are equipped with additional layers if anti-shock rev gel for maximum protection. Besides that, they have a contoured teardrop shape with a layer of shock-absorbing gel around the target area.
Another thing you need to note about them is that they feature a synthetic leather mesh flaps which keep your hands cool. This mesh flaps your hands in the mitt during intense training.
You will also find that they have an outstanding hook and loop wrist strap.
The other notable feature is the ergonomically shaped grip ball which has a padded heel wedge. This is meant to provide additional cushioning around the wrist.
- Attractive design
- ANTI-SHOCK Rev-Tech Gel™
- RAM-Force™ Technology Padding
- Made of high-grade synthetic leather
- Excellent for speed work
- Priced a little higher
Focus mitts are very important training gear for boxing, martial arts, and Muay Thai. One of the reasons why you should use them is that they boost your defensive and punching skills.
In terms of price, you will find that they are very cost-effective as compared to other boxing equipment you may need like punching bags. Again, their lightweight design enhances your performance. When buying, you will find that they are available in different styles and designs.
If you really need the best focus mitts that will boost your overall performance, we recommend RDX T3. We feel these are well-padded, durable, lightweight, affordable, and have an excellent design.