Are you into mixed martial arts, a fighter in training or are you simply looking to let off some steam? It doesn’t matter why you need a punching bag, finding the right one is the most important thing.
You need to find the right bag for the training you want to do. Your training may require several different types of punching bags with each one working a different part of your fighting arsenal.
This guide will help you make the right decision when it comes to finding the right punching bag for your needs.
How to find the right punching bag
When you have an understanding of why you need one, you are a step closer to finding the right one. Here are a few things to consider when shopping:
You don’t want to buy a 50 lb. bag when you weight 200 lbs. The general rule for finding the right size is to choose a bag that is half your weight. For example, if you weigh 180lbs then you need to go for a bag that is around 100 lbs.
If you train in Muay Thai or MMA, you will want to look at the Muay Thai punching bags which are long and heavy. This is so you can train on the bags doing powerful roundhouse kicks low, medium and high.
Why do you need a punching bag? What are your goals? Are you practicing for a future fight or do you simply want to improve your physique? Do you wish to improve your hand-eye coordination or are you looking to improve your strength and power?
If it is speed you are looking to improve for example, then you would look at a speed bag or double-ended striking bag.
You don’t want to buy a heavy punching bag when you don’t have anywhere to set it up.
Make sure before buying you have a place to hang the bag. If you do not have a heavy bag stand or location to hang one then just buy a stand.
If you are hanging a bag from a house beam or joist, make sure it is secure.
Level of expertise:
Are you a beginner, an intermediary or an expert. Ideally, your level of experience should determine the type of punching bag you buy. As a beginner, there is no point in biting off more than you can chew!
Don’t go for a heavy bag when a light bag is all you need to up your skills! If on the other hand, you have been boxing or doing martial arts for a long time then a heavy bag or Muay Thai bag will be better to help you develop power and endurance.
Inside the bag:
Some people prefer unfilled bags as opposed to filled ones. Unfilled bags are normally taken up by those who have a particular feel they want from their bags after filling them up on their own. There are different fillings used, from water, sand, foam, fabric, and sawdust. The most common filler is memory foam.
Types of punching bags
There are different types of punching bags in the market. The different descriptions below will help you determine which one is the right choice for you.
These types are relatively common in traditional gyms. They are suspended from the ceiling or wall and tend to be strong enough to withstand plenty of power punches and kicks.
This type is ideal for those interested in traditional boxing, karate or Muay Thai as they help improve one’s kicking technique and general punching skills. They are heavy as the name suggests, weighing between 50 and 200 lbs.
Free-standing punching bag
Free-standing punching bags as the name suggests are not suspended in the ceiling or attached anywhere. Instead, they rely on a stable base for support. This type is perfect for training in places where you cannot hand a heavy bag. These bags are usually made of a material that is easier on your hands.
Speedbags are a perfect fit for someone wishing to improve their speed and accuracy. They are also a perfect fit for someone wishing to improve their timing. They are light in weight and have to be suspended on a wall or ceiling to be used.
Uppercut bags are ideal for the serious boxing professional or any martial arts. This bag comes in different shapes and sizes and is generally mounted to the wall or ceiling. This is a perfect choice if you wish to improve your uppercut punches.
The dummy bag is structured much like an opponent would be, complete with a face, torso, and sometimes hands. This type is perfect for those who wish to enjoy the “feel” of practicing on an actual opponent.
Dummy bags are generally free-standing (no wall or ceiling mounting). They are a perfect fit for any stand-up martial art.
Punching Bag Reviews
The RevGear four-foot heavy bag is an ideal bag for the serious boxing or martial arts athlete. It is made from 22 oz. vinyl coated nylon that makes for a splendid punching experience.
It can take all the power punches and kicks with no problem.
The filled weight version of this bag is approximately 80 lbs.
- 10-Year Limited Warranty
- 22-ounce vinyl coated nylon and triple stitched seams make these the most durable bags in the business
- Triple stitched seams
- Reinforced nylon straps
- 14″x 4′
- Weight when filled: 80 lb.
- Made in the USA
The RevGear Uppercut and hookbox is the perfect fit for one looking to improve their straight punches. It is a great addition for those who wish to improve on their elbow, hook, or knee punches. It is made using heavy-duty leather that makes for decent durability.
The weight on this bag is approximately 26 lbs. and it measures 17 inches wide and 6 inches on the deep lower section. It also measures 12 inches on the deep upper section.
The RevGear uppercut comprises of multiple padded targets that make for a decent workout.
- Multiple padded targets
- Leather construction
- Mounts to wall
- Size: 17 inches high, 12 inches wide in the upper section, six inches wide in the lower section
- Weight: 26 pounds
- Higher cost
The Everlast 70-pound MMA Poly Canvas bag is the perfect fit for you if you are looking for a heavy bag with a high shock absorbency capability.
This bag is constructed using good quality synthetic poly-canvas and is filled with a decent mix of both quality natural fibers and synthetic ones.
The 70-pound weight is safely supported by quality nylon straps. Besides, there are double loops available to help up its functionality.
Height adjustment is also possible with this bag hence making it possible to punch or kick at different heights.
If you are into MMA, Muay Thai, Karate, Taekwondo or any other martial art then you will appreciate this bag.
- Decent shock absorbency
- Decent construction material (poly-canvas)
- Comes with double loops for added functionality
- Premium synthetic polycanvas along with superior heavy bag construction provides long-lasting durability
- Heavy-duty nylon straps provide security and safety, while the double end loop provides increased functionality
- There are some complaints of the straps coming off
- Smaller bag at only 70 lbs. so heavy hits it will swing a lot
The Century Original Wavemaster is the perfect choice for you if you are looking for a bag with great bounce-back capability. This unit comes with a filing of either water or sand and weighs approximately 250 lbs.
This freestanding punching bag comes with 7 height adjustment options (47-68 inches) to make for appropriate player height adjustments.
If you are wet behind the ears, then this is the perfect starter unit for your journey into MMA.
- Fills with sand or water
- Weighs about 250 pounds when filled
- Round base means the unit can be rolled away
- Bounces back quickly
- Seven height adjustments between 47″ and 68″
- MADE IN THE USA!
- Can be a little noisy
- Tend to be a bit shaky if the base is not properly installed (with sand or water)
The RDX punch bag is the ideal unit for fight training. It is filled with shredded textile material that helps ensure that no matter how hard you punch, your hands are protected.
If you are into high-impact combat training, then this is a good choice.
The inside of the bag is not only filled with decent quality shredded textile material but is also lined with high-quality polyester.
This makes the bag durable no matter how much you abuse it, this bag will last a long time. The outer layer is constructed with high-quality water-resistant leather.
- RDX 16 Gauge Heavy Duty Powder Coated Steel 1.5ft Long Wall Pro Bracket and you get RDX 18 Gauge High-grade Powder Coated Steel Heavy Ceiling Hook
- It comes with Pair of Hand Wraps, a Steel chain, a Swivel, a Jump rope, and a D-Shackle
- RDX Fixture and fittings, Hand Gripper, Boxing Glove (Mini) for hanging,
- Hook for Punchbag Strap, Boxing Glove Keyring
- RDX Bag Gloves padded with Gel foam padding
- The G-Core twinned layer non-tear-filled Punch bag 5ft or 4ft (It’s waterproof & can be used outside)
- Chains may come off at times
- Tends to swing a little too much for some
The RDX punching bag is unfilled and is the ideal package for one looking to start training. The package comes with an unfilled punching bag, steel chains and a pair of boxing gloves.
This unit boasts of double stitching which speaks of its durability. It is waterproof which means that it can be taken outside with no second thoughts.
This unfilled set also makes it possible for you to pick and choose which filling to use for your bag.
- RDX Zero Impact G-Core Maya Hide Leathered UNFILLED Punching Bag
- Comes in both 4ft & 5ft according to your preference
- Supplied with free steel chains & pro bag gloves
- Heavy-duty ZIPPEX top closure ensures maximum fill potential (Waterproof & can be used outdoors)
- Tethered loop facility at the base of the Punching bag ensures swing reduction
- Doesn’t come with a ceiling mount
The Dripex freestanding punching bag is a beautifully designed punch bag that stands at 69”.
It is ideal for trainers standing at 47-73 inches of height. This unit boasts of dual TPU absorbers that make for great shock absorption ability. Also, you don’t have to worry about plenty of noise with this unit thanks to the same.
The Dripex is comprised of a stainless steel tube stand, thick PU leather, and high-density foam to make for a sturdy, durable unit.
- Stands approximately 69’’/175cm tall
- 12 strong suction cups included
- Dripex freestanding punching bag covers high-quality multi-layer construction
- Dual PVC Shock Absorbers
- Removable Base Can Be Easily Filled
- Suction cups do not stick to mats
- The bag comes in two separate shipments
The Everlast 80lb heavy bag is a durable punching bag thanks to the material used in its construction.
The inner part is filled with a good mix of sanitized natural fibers as well as synthetic ones while the outer part is made using premium synthetic leather.
All materials used help ensure that no serious harm comes to your hands when you take heavy punches to the unit.
As far as safety goes when throwing punches, thanks to the heavy-duty nylon straps, you don’t have to worry about how secure this unit is.
- Premium synthetic leather with reinforced webbing provides long-lasting durability
- Specially blended filler mix of sanitized synthetic and natural fibers provides resilient shock absorbency
- Heavy-duty nylon straps provide security and safety
- Double-end loop provides increased functionality
Our punching bag of choice is the Everlast 80 lb. heavy bag because of its durability, ease of installation, and flexibility to be used by both amateurs and experts. Everything from the inner material to the outer build ensures that you get a great bag for a decent price.