Muay Thai is a type of martial art discipline which involves the use of clinching, elbow strikes, knee strikes, and punches to decimate your opponents.
One of the most important things you will need for training is a pair of Muay Thai Pads. Many martial art disciplines use Muay Thai pads to train.
These pads are specially built to protect you and your partner from injuries during training.
The most notable thing about them is their large surface area which enables them to cover your forearms. Unlike focus mitts, these pads are specifically designed to shield you from heavy kicks, knees, elbows, and punches.
There are many different types of Thai pads to choose from, so we narrowed it down to the Muay Thai pads we have used in the present and past.
Why do martial arts trainers use Muay Thai pads?
Muay Thai pads are also known as kick pads or Thai pads.
They are usually used by Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Karate, Taekwondo, Jeet Kune Do, MMA, and other martial art trainers.
Compared to focus mitts, Thai pads are larger and bulky to protect you from all types of strikes. You will also find that they are well padded to absorb shock.
They are exclusively built withstand the impact of heavy blows and kicks.
Video Muay Thai Kicking – Thai Pads
How do Muay Thai Pads help to develop powerful Kicks
With these pads, you can kick, elbow, knee or punch as hard as you want without any worry of damaging them due to their heavy-duty construction. The pads have very thick padding to absorb shock and this will help in preventing injury.
That does not mean you will not get dinged up some when training. I held pads all the time for pro and amateur MMA fighters.
I sometimes would get bruises on my forearms. The reason for this was I held the pads at the wrong angle. This caused my forearms to absorb more of the kick then what was necessary.
Make sure you understand how to use the equipment before you start training.
What are the benefits of using Muay Thai pads?
Thai Pads are commonly used for MMA, Muay Thai, Karate, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do and many other martial art disciplines. Using them correctly will protect you from injuring yourself and your training partner.
Some of the benefits of using these pads include.
- Distribute force – One of the greatest benefits of using these pads is that they have excellent shock absorption. This means that they are able to distribute the force that comes from strikes, kicks, and knees.
- Large surface – Since they have a large surface area, it is not easy for the striker to miss them.
- Easy to hold – You will find that they come with two adjustable straps which makes them easy to hold. Due to this, they give you better control. You can quickly move the pads to offer multiple combinations to the fighter.
- Durable – Thai pads are made of top-notch materials which enables them to last long. The materials used are also resistant to wear and tear.
- Price – Most people may think that due to the heavy-duty construction, Muay Thai is very expensive. However, this is not the case and you will be surprised to find that most of them are affordable. The price depends on their quality which means that you get what you pay for.
The 5 Best Muay Thai Pads on the Market
1. Fairtex Curved MMA Muay Thai pads
Fairtex Curved MMA Muay Thai Pads are among the most versatile pads which you can use for all fighting styles.
They are made of pure leather to enhance strength and durability. You will also find that they have a curved design which creates a tight fit.
You can use them at home or at any training center.
These Muay Thai pads do not have any sharp angles or edges.
This pair also comes with two forearm support straps plus a reinforced riveted handle. Due to this, they are very stable and well balanced.
The wraps also contain thick padding to enhance comfort. You will be surprised to find that even with the extra padding and the heavy-duty design, they are very light and comfortable.
When it comes to length, you will find that they are a little bit longer than other pads which means that they cover the entire forearm plus elbow.
If you are searching for quality Muay Thai standard pads for martial art training, this pair and brand are one of the best.
- Excellent for heavy kickers
- Thick padding
- Extremely durable
- Phenomenal shock absorption
- Holds up better than other pads
- Very stiff when new
2. Elite Sports Black/ Black Muay Thai Kick Pad
Elite Sports Muay Thai Kick pads come second in our list as another reliable Muay Thai pad.
What makes them unique from other models is that they feature gel integrated foam padding and a padded interior. This design enables them to absorb huge blows better than other pads.
They also have an improved design that does not have any sharp edges or angles. The material used to make the pads is a top-class PU leather.
The other awesome thing I loved about them is the shock-absorbing multi-layered foam padding and the long-lasting synthetic shell.
The handles are also uniquely designed for heavy hitters. To enhance stability, they have a flat design that features a triple reinforced riveted handle. Another great thing is the pads have a performance stabilizing system at the back.
If you are searching for a perfect pad for kicks, body punches, knee, elbow strikes and punches this one will work for you.
- Resilient and lightweight material
- Affordable price
- Long-lasting pads
- Easy to adjust handle grip
- Excellent shock absorption
- Added resistance
- Unisex and multiple colors
- One customer said the D-Ring came off when training
3. Assassin Muay Thai pads
If you are looking for the best Muay Thai pads that provide exceptional value, then you should look at the Assassin Pads by RevGear.
Compared to other pads on the market, these pads are equipped with fantastic features to enhance performance.
To start with, we found out that they are made of a treated leather outer shell which makes them perfect for high impact training. They are specially designed for students who want to develop their speed, techniques, and power on all punches, knees, elbows, and kicks.
You will also find that they have a flat striking surface which makes them ideal for those who want to improve their fighting prowess.
A comfortable solid grip is also included to ensure that they do not slip. This grip also helps with combination strikes since you will need to move the pad around quickly for your training partner.
The pads come in two sizes not just one size like many other brands.
The other major selling point of these pads is that they have an additional backside padding that protects your arms. The RAM-Force technology padding also prevents your elbow shoulders and hand from straining.
- Heavy-duty construction RAM-Force technology
- Comfortable and flexible
- Tested for durability and made of deluxe leather
- Tapered shape for easy movement
- Curved for a broken-in feel
- A bit higher in price
4. RDX T1 Curved Thai Kick Pad PU Leather
If you are searching for quality Muay Thai Pads that can withstand training sessions with ruthless workout partners, the RDT T1 Curved Thai Kick Pads will be an excellent choice.
They are purely designed to give you maximum protection.
The pads are made of Maya Hide Leather which enables them to withstand even the toughest workouts. This material is also resistant to wear and tear.
Apart from the sturdy material, you will also find that they feature a Gel foam Lining which helps dissipate the shockwaves from hits. This keeps you comfortable and well protected.
An adjustable strap is also included to ensure that the pad will remain snug and comfortable.
- Amazing protection against heavy blows
- IMT three layers of gel integrated foam padding to disperse shock
- Maya hide leather construction
- Less expensive than some others
- Adjustable strap to provide a snug fit, double-quick EZ hook and loop design
- Make sure when buying you buy 2 of them. They are sold as a single item
5. RDX T3 Muay Thai Kick Pads
RDX T3 is specially designed for experts or fighters who want to improve their game using pad drills. They are made to withstand very tough training even when you are practicing with ruthless partners.
This means that they give your training partner maximum protection as they help you to sharpen your skills.
You will find that they are equipped with amazing features like outstanding foam padding and a gel flayer for double shock absorption.
In addition, they have an easy to adjust hook-and-loop closure which gives you extra stability.
It is also important to mention that they are made of a quality Maya Hide Leather which has reinforced stitching.
The good thing about them is that they won’t crumble even under pressure. They also have a curved and oval-shaped design that contours with the shape of your arm. Due to this, they are very comfortable.
- Heavy-duty construction made of Maya hide leather
- Gel-integrated shock-absorbent foam
- Double-quick EZ hook and loop
- Double-stitched seams
- Reviews had a mix of people not happy with their durability
- Make sure when buying it is sold as a pair not individual
We like the Fairtex curved MMA Muay Thai pads. They are excellent for the hardcore training that you will be doing. We also use this brand in our MMA gym so I know they are good.
If you would like to improve your Muay Thai skills, it is important you invest in quality Muay Thai Pads.
The good thing about them is that they have a large surface area which enables you to enjoy training without any worry about getting injured. Thai pads ensure that you and your partner are safe when training.
If you have been searching for quality Muay Thai pads, you can never go wrong with any of those we have reviewed.
We have only considered those that are durable, comfortable, and those that provide maximum protection. You will also find that they are all made of tough materials to prevent wear and tear.